Sunday, August 23, 2009

Going to the Beach

Conner has been talking about going to the beach for a few weeks, so we packed up the car and drove to New Brighton Beach yesterday. The kids are great travelers, so the 3 hour trip wasn't bad at all (actually, it only took us 2 1/2....well done, Carey!). Carey and I went to New Brighton when we were first dating to go camping (yes, we were with our families and friends from our ward....again, I was only 16!), so it's always fun to go back.

We picked up lunch at The Farm (great place if haven't been), and drove down the hill to New Brighton Beach. We unpacked the kids, packed up the stroller, had Carey push the stroller in the sand, set up camp, and started our day. The twins had a blast, the older kids have never seen Dad act crazier (at one point, Carey jumped into the ocean to save Conner's bucket....we lost the receipt to the tent that we bought for the twins, which turned out to be broken, and a cell phone, oh, and he was soaked from his neck down. But, if nothing else, we have the bucket!)


(Kids on the way to the beach...)
(We finally made it!)

(The broken tent....we managed to keep it up for a while, but it definitely is going back....)

(Carey and kids eating lunch....forgive Carey's sunglasses....we couldn't find his other pair, and these are his backups....they're from his mission.....stylish, right?)

(Token kissing picture at the beach....don't worry, the kids weren't in the ocean or anything....)

(Conner making a sand angel....)


(My dainty girl covered in sand with her dump truck.....I think we need more girly things for her!)

(Conner built himself a hole....impressed?)

(Ta-Da!)
(Our stroller on the way to the Boardwalk....we parked about 1/2 mile away, so with the wonderful "Buggy Board" all the kids got to ride there. That board is heaven sent!)

(Courtney wasn't a big fan of her first ride....)

(Conner enjoying lots of ice cream...trying to eat it before Dad would take a bite, claiming it was, "about to fall off!")

(Lauren and I waiting for the older kids to ride all the rides....here I am holding a baby, a bottle and taking the picture....yes, I have octopus arms)

(Courtney warmed up to the rides....she's loving it with Dad)

(Courtney's "look" on the ride home....love the hat with the flap over her forehead)

(30 minutes after leaving The Boardwalk, the car was quiet, everyone was fed and asleep, and we enjoyed a peaceful ride home. It was such a fun day.......)







12 comments:

The Davis Family said...

What fun! That's a lot to pack into one day.... I love that place!

Herlehy Family said...

What a fun day! I love the last picture of Courtney and Conner all tuckered out after their fun adventure. That is always a sign of a successful adventure when all the kids are worn out. Next year we should plan a day to the beach together with our families.

Jillian Goulding said...

looks like you had so much fun!!! i love the boardwalk. i have never thought to do it in a day trip but you proved it is do able. yea for you guys!!

Smith Family said...

seriously, we need to get out more with our one baby! you guys never seize to amaze us with your awesome parenting abilities! looks like you had an awesome day!

Tom Cadle said...

You deserve five gold stars for pulling this off in one day. Great day for the kids, and you.
Ma and Pa Cadle

Tiffani said...

I love that you two were high school sweethearts and get to do the same thing only with your kids! Too cool.

Laurie, the girls and Scott said...

I want to go next time! I can bring some princess toys for Courtney.

camille said...

nice work, Mel! That looked so fun. Seriously, you are queen of day trips. That is awesome! Love the pictures and my fav was the token kissing one. I have many of those and I never get sick of em! xoxo

OLIVIA said...

We'll have to check that place out. It looks so fun!

Kendra said...

Sounds like a great get-a-way! It makes me miss SC :) you guys need to come with us in june next year!

Jim and Shana McGavock said...

That looks like fun! I haven't been there in like 5 years. WAY too long considering how close we are!

Kye Nead said...

Wow!! I always knew you were super women. Good job mom :) I would not be able to pull that off!! Looks like fun was had by all.