Thursday, October 1, 2009

Conner...Growing Up So Fast

So, I took Conner to see a speech therapist today just to make sure that everything was OK. He has had some stuttering problems, so I just wanted him to get checked out. As I sat there and watched him play games with the teacher, answer questions, and tell stories I was amazed at how old he actually is. He really does engage well, makes great conversations and answers all the questions in perfect answer/question format. Who knew? Our house is usually very loud and there are lots of people fighting for attention, and poor sweet Conner is usually the last one heard from, so I thought maybe he didn't have much to say or didn't know what/how to say what he wanted to express. Apparently, that's not the problem....finding the time to listen is the problem. His stuttering is brought on a rushed circumstance and he wants to get the story out too fast because he senses that there isn't much time. How sad is that?

New goal....Have fewer things each day, more time with just him, and really listen when he needs to talk. The speech therapist said he is just right on track, passed the tests with flying colors, and has no issues (other than a full house of mostly girls that all need to be heard from....he is going to be one patient husband one day!)

On a sidenote, the therapist brought out a Star Wars Mr. Potato head for him to play with while we talked about the results, but she told him he could "look at it". So, Conner was just looking at it, not touching it or playing with it. She soon realized that he is quite a literal boy, so when you say "look" it means "no touch". She clarified that with him, and he tore into that box like you would not believe. He loved it!

4 comments:

camille said...

What a great post. I love hearing about Conner and what a little cutie/smartie he is. He will be a great husband someday with all his training growing up. Kinda like Uncle Marc...lots of girls to listen to and look at him (way awesome). Conner is such a great little boy. I love being around him!

Jillian Goulding said...

how sweet mel. conner is precious. less things each day would probably be a good thing for you!! you are like super mom...take some time to relax:)

Herlehy Family said...

Conner is such a great boy and we love having him be a part of our family, he his a great friend!

OramHouse said...

Especially with the twins, other kids get left out all the time. I often feel bad because I cannot hold/play with the girls individually like i did with all my other kids either. So everyone is getting the short end of the stick some days! But, slowing down is always nice. Connor will be a better husband for it:) Usually the boys with the best moms always turn out that way!